Wait a minute, you ask, what’s a breakover? According to the urban dictionary, a breakover is “a complete reinvention of oneself and one’s image, achieved through treatment and improvement one’s physical appearance, as well as ending one’s relationship with a detrimental significant other. A portmanteau of “breakup” and “makeover”.” We’ve all gone through some broken hearts (click for post on dealing with a breakup) and bad breakups and survived to tell the tale, right? But what if part of getting over someone meant reinventing yourself? What if it meant you became a better, hotter version of yourself? That, my friends, is a breakover. I always get a breakover when I go through a bad breakup … I do follow my own advice! Not only do I get my hair and makeup done, I also take pictures to remind me how fabulous I really am and how I am a survivor! You can do it too, you SHOULD do it. Don’t let the end of a relationship be the end of you. But how do you do it?
5 Tips to Doing Breakovers Right
- It all starts with attitude! You had your good cry, you went through the grieving process … now take all that negative energy and turn it into positive. Looking good is directly related to attitude. The most attractive people look ugly when they have a bad attitude. Just think of how attractive someone looks when they are smiling. Personally, this has been my saving grace, my confidence, the realization that I’m better for not being with that person because now I can focus on being true to myself … and that I’m fabulous!! Keep telling yourself that! So get off that sofa and take a shower already!
- Let’s face it … what’s the first thing people see? Your Face! Skincare is so important. You need to make sure your skin is healthy and you have a nice glow. Get a facial or do one yourself. Use a moisturizer and sun protection. Not only will it keep you looking your best, your skin will age slower when you take care of it. Personally, I take very good care of my skin and plan on looking the way I do as long as I possibly can help it. Screw you growing old gracefully!
- Grooming is essential. Whether you’re a man or woman you need to groom every bit of hair that’s not on your head. This means eyebrow shaping, remove the facial hair you don’t need (ear & nose hair included), grooming your pubic hair (safely and hygienically) and keeping the rest of your body hair in check. How you do it and how much is really a personal thing but it always needs to be clean and neat looking whatever it is. No one needs to go hunting in the jungle to find what they are looking for. Ya, for me, this is very very important. Enough said.
- Get your hair done. You know that feeling you get when you leave the hairdresser? Ya THAT! You feel so good. Do something completely different with your hair, maybe a new color, highlights, a new cut, a new style … whatever you do don’t do anything you know you’ll regret, but do get out of your comfort zone. I LOVE going to my hairdresser. I always leave there feeling gorgeous … who doesn’t like that feeling? Seriously? It’s worth every penny.
- Shop till you (almost) drop. Now, I’m not saying empty your bank account or max out your credit cards, but what I am saying is go out and buy a nice outfit, or two, that make you feel gorgeous. Perhaps something that you wouldn’t have worn while you were with your ex. Here’s an interesting fact about me, I didn’t feel attractive enough before my divorce to wear skirts or dresses. Now, I only own a couple pairs of pants, the rest are skirts and dresses. Yup … see, attitude is EVERYTHING.
These are all things that are easy to do and maintain. You can do them yourself or treat yourself to a professional treatment. Have a spa day, get your nails done … Whatever you do, remember tip number 1 … attitude … a breakover, really, is ALL about attitude. Putting your best foot forward will not only ensure you look good but it will also make you feel good … and … nothing is more important than feeling good. Don’t let a bad experience be your undoing … there REALLY ARE many fish in the sea, when your attitude changes and when you’re truly ready they will be there. YOU ARE GORGEOUS!! REMEMBER THAT!! Don’t let someone who didn’t appreciate or love you enough define who you are!! So get out of your breakup funk and skunk and have a BREAKOVER!!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva