So you think you’re funny? Perhaps you are … most likely you just THINK you are. Everyone says they prefer a partner with a good sense of humor, but, what on earth does that even mean? Well, it means that the person can make you laugh, right? Not necessarily. Having a good sense of humor means a lot of things and probably different things to different people. What does having a sense of humor as an adult really mean? ESPECIALLY if you’re dating? Well, I’ll tell you.
Having a Sense of Humor as an Adult
First I’ll tell you what having a sense of humor as an adult does NOT mean.
- It doesn’t mean cracking jokes all the time. Jokes have a time and a place. Unless you’re a stand up comedian up on stage, refrain from cracking jokes.
- It doesn’t mean trying to be funny at someone else’s expense or insulting someone in order to make others laugh, it usually only serves to hurt others or make the people around you uncomfortable. Keep race, religion and anything negative against others out of your humor.
- It doesn’t mean trying to make people laugh with things that were funny in primary school. One example I can pull from one of my online dating experiences, the conversation went something like this (after a normal conversation): Him: “you know what Suzie”, Me: “what?”, Him: “that’s what”, Me: “that’s not funny”, Him: “yes it is, it’s hilarious”, Me: “um not really”, Him: “you need a better sense of humor” …. yes, sure I do, come back when you’re an adult.
- It doesn’t mean faking being a stalker. Enough said.
- It doesn’t mean being sarcastic and seemingly bitter.
- It doesn’t mean pulling pranks.
So then, what does having a sense of humor as an adult mean?
- It means finding humor in everyday situations.
- It means being able to laugh at yourself.
- It means gauging your audience before sharing something funny. You need to be appropriate and timely.
- It means taking advantage of things that make you laugh such as entertainment and sharing it with others.
- It means being relatable. If people can relate to what you’re laughing at then they will laugh too.
- It means seeing the funny in every bad thing that happens to you.
Funny means different things to different people, as does a sense of humor. When you’re dating you need to be able to test the waters with the person you’re with. While one person my get your jokes, someone else might not. It’s the random things that are the funniest. Think of what made Seinfeld so funny. He saw the humor in everyday life and people totally could relate to him. That’s what made him funny. He hardly ever told a joke. Most successful comedians will either poke fun at themselves or everyday situations. What makes ethnic comedians so funny? Their relatability of course!! Everyone who grew up in a similar household will totally be able to relate to what they are saying. I think you get the point.
So the next time someone tells you they enjoy a good sense of humor don’t tell them a knock knock joke. Just talk about funny things that have happened to you and if you’re out on a date and you notice something strangely funny then point it out. You will definitely win points with your date.
How important is a sense of humor in a partner to you? Share your experiences in the comments below!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva