Psst…wanna know the secret to preparing for a date? Exercise! Wait wait don’t go … hear me out!
Really, exercise? Could that help my date? Absolutely! There are a number of ways exercise can improve that meeting with a potential special someone.
3 Reasons to Exercise Before a Date
But not right before 😉 Give yourself enough time to get ready for the date
Exercise makes you feel better
When you workout endorphins (the feel-good brain chemicals) are released in your body. You will feel more positive and upbeat, which are qualities people like in a partner.
Exercise makes you more confident
A good workout can help you feel more confident about yourself because you just accomplished something and showed yourself the amazing things your body can do. Be sure to focus on the positive aspects of your workout and what you achieved.
Exercise relieves stress
Working out helps to relieve stress and anxiety, partially through the release of endorphins, but also because when you’re working out you aren’t (or shouldn’t be) paying attention to anything else. Your focus is on each exercise and doing it to the best of your ability.
Overall, exercise is a great way to prepare for your date and get rid of the pre-date jitters.
Here’s a FUN 15 minute workout that you can do at home. You don’t even need to worry about having any equipment. You’ll just use body weight and trust me, that’s all you’ll need!
15 Minute Pre-Date Workout
The structure of the workout makes it suitable for ANY level, so don’t worry about not being “in shape” enough. Make it harder by going faster and doing more reps OR make it easier by going slower and doing less reps. You choose the level of intensity (just make sure you aren’t going too easy on yourself 🙂
Complete the following workout as a circuit, doing one exercise after the other. Do each exercise for 1 minute before moving on to the next one. Rest only as needed. Go as fast as you can, but remember that GOOD FORM takes precedence over speed.
- Jump squat with triple pulse – Perform 1 jump squat then 3 bottom half pulse squats, repeat.
- Push ups – Get into a plank position on your toes with hands slightly wider than shoulders. Lower your body down keeping elbows about 45 degrees. Push up and repeat. (Use my secret for doing push ups from your toes)
- Lateral lunge with standing oblique crunch – Lunge to the right, bending the right knee and keeping the left leg straight. Push off with your right foot and as you come up lift your right knee and twist your left elbow towards it. Repeat for 30 seconds then switch sides.
- Triceps dips – Place your hands shoulder distance apart on a bench or chair. Bring your feet away from your body, but keep your butt close to the bench/chair. Bend your elbows until your upper arms are parallel to the floor. As you push up to straighten your arms, squeeze your triceps.
- Walking plank – Start in a plank position on your elbows and forearms. Walk up your arms so both palms are on the floor. Come back down to elbows. Repeat. Try to keep your body from swaying as you move up and down.
Watch this video for a demonstration of each exercise.
Have fun and good luck on your date!!
Lydia Di Francesco is the Founder of Fit & Healthy 365 and Creator of the 15 Minute Workout Club, an online fitness program. As a Certified Personal Trainer, Lydia educates clients and the public that healthy living doesn’t need to be complicated. She promotes simple, fun exercise and creating a healthy mindset with a long-term approach to wellness. Lydia makes regular appearances as a Fitness Expert on CTV Ottawa Morning Live and Rogers Daytime Ottawa. Follow Lydia on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram!
Join the FREE 7 Day Fitness Challenge to kick start your fitness or level up your game.