The first date. We’ve all obviously been there (some of us more than others!). Getting to that first date is often difficult enough, so you want it to go well. I mean no one goes on a date unless they are genuinely interested, or at least genuinely intrigued, by the other person. After you’ve set the date, you make sure you have the right outfit, that you’re hair looks good, that everything is in place. You want to make a good first impression. Well at least most people do. First dates could be great or go bad pretty fast.
Here are some of my tips for a successful first date:
- make sure you meet in a very public place for coffee or drinks … these don’t cost as much so there are less expectations … and if a guy can’t shell out $10 to pay for your drink, or a couple dollars for your coffee then you obviously need to kick him to the curb … usually best to leave the meal to date 2 or 3
- always get there, and leave, on your own … this protects you and keeps it casual (less tempting to invite him in!)
- limit the time you spend together to 2 hours … this gives you a good out if you need it
- look your best, but natural … don’t make it look like you’re trying too hard
- don’t dress like a whore or like grandma Moses … leave most of it to the imagination but give him something to think about
- make sure you smell nice, but not overpowering … this goes for you too guys! (PS Vanilla scents are a huge bonus)
- smile a lot and make eye contact
- put your phone on silent/vibrate and don’t look at it, even if it rings! You need to be present, not elsewhere … if you don’t want to be there anymore, then leave
- if you get creaped out or feel uncomfortable in ANY way LEAVE … do not feel bad, your instinct is usually right
- if he’s got a “sock in his pants” RUN! Seriously! I mean ya it’s great he’s attracted to you … but you know what’s on his mind!
- keep the conversation light and “getting to know” you … no personal stuff, leave it to the imagination … if you tell him everything about you, then there’s nothing left to tell or find out … BORING! Guys like a challenge.
- leave on a positive note with a handshake or hug (depends on your comfort level) … no kissing!
These are some of the tips that seem to work for me. Sometimes first dates are successful t and sometimes they aren’t, but it is important to ensure your self respect is intact and that you are safe. Above all else your safety is most important. You may have chatted with this person for months before meeting, but do you really know them or do you only know what they told/showed you. Many people are manipulative and know how to get what they want … so be smart and ALWAYS trust your instincts. No man is worth the risk.
So some of my first date experiences worth mentioning? Well most my first dates turn out positive, but many of them don’t go anywhere. My most memorable first date was with a guy that seriously looked like Jason Alexander (George Costanza from Seinfeld) … no seriously he was his twin – bald head and all! He even acted and talked like him and came complete with the overstuffed wallet in his back pocket. It was a blind date, so I didn’t realize this when I agreed – no offense Jason ;). Anyway, we went to a pub and he ordered me a soft drink (no he didn’t ask me what I wanted to drink – cheap ass!) and the further the night went on I seriously felt like I was on a date with George Costanza and I kept trying not to laugh … but at one point I couldn’t contain myself and burst out and just got up said bye and left. I don’t know if he purposefully wanted to be George or not but he certainly did a good job of it.
My worst first dates … well read my post on “The Crazies”! Usually though, I try to take it as an experience and meeting someone new. Keep it casual with no expectations. The worst thing you can do is go in too excited and expect him to be the man of your dreams because he “seemed” that way when you spoke. But keep an open mind and give it a chance, stay positive. Essentially, go in like you are meeting a friend for a drink and you will be way better off!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva