Tact: Acute sensitivity to what is proper and appropriate in dealing with others, including the ability to speak or act without offending.
Judgment: The formation of an opinion after consideration or deliberation.
What does this have to do with dating? EVERYTHING! Just like tact and judgment are essential in your day to day life, they are essential in your dating life. Why? Because it helps you do and say the right things at the right time, it helps you react appropriately to all situations (good and bad) and it helps you make the right decisions.
“Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.” (Benjamin Franklin)
Top 10 Ways to Use Tact and Judgment When Dating
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Think before you speak – don’t be reactive, listen and think … give yourself space between what you hear and say
- Give and take – don’t be stubborn, you can’t always get your way, know when to back down … no one likes a pit bull
- Be considerate – put yourself in the other person’s shoes, treat others how you would want to be treated
- Use discretion – don’t overshare, not every person needs to know your business and theirs, you don’t need to share everything
- Have an attitude of gratitude – always, always say thank you for a date and nice gesture regardless if it was good or bad
- Be positively positive – always think positive, everything always happens for the best although you don’t always see it right away
- Don’t talk about others negatively – people don’t want to be around someone who talks badly about others and gossips, remember those who talk badly about other to you will talk badly about you to others
- Have common sense – pay attention to the obvious, don’t turn a blind eye to anything
- Know your limits – know what you know and who you are, don’t pretend to be someone you’re not to impress anyone
- Trust your instincts – always go with what your gut tells you, it will never steer you wrong!
Using tact and judgment when dating is about dating smart! Only you know what, and who, is right for you. Don’t sell yourself short.
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva
Great list of do’s and don’ts – I like #4 and #5……..”don’t overshare” – that’s way too easy to do when meeting someone the first time. And “always say thank you”…. I almost never hear that from ladies I take out. Oh…. and #1 is important…….. “don’t be reactive, listen and think”
Thanks Dan! These are important things to keep in mind. Saying “thank you” is not done enough in dating. I am surprised when I thank someone and he looks surprised. What ever happened to being polite?
How right you are Suzie, about saying those simple two words “thank you” And …Saying “Thank You” is fat and sugar free and very much just FREE 🙂 No commitment nor work to be done 🙂
Excellent advice! I think most mature adults know these it’s remembering them and following them in the moment that’s the problem! LOL! #nervousnelly
Thanks DIP! Funny how our tact goes out the window when someone hurts us or pisses us off.
Bravo! This is great stuff. It’s amazing how if someone lays out the do’s and don’ts of a relationship how a light bulb pops on in our heads. There are so many things that we should already know that we don’t even think about. #7 is a great one in my opinion because I know so many people who think the worst about others. It’s so sad because that other person doesn’t have an impact on their life whatsoever. Great post!
Thanks Q! Yes, we usually know the answer but we don’t always do what we know we should. Common sense doesn’t always prevail!
Great post! I know these tips are the key to a positive encounter but it seems many people are so self absorbed and they just don’t think before they speak, nor do they put themselves in others shoes. It’s about THEM! Until they learn and follow your tips, they will continue to have relationship challenges. Thanks!
Comments are closed.