Back in 2011 I wrote about my Italian Stallion, one of my adventures in dating land. If you missed it, you can read my “Ciao Bello” post. In it I spoke about his talking too much and roving eye. Well, he wasn’t a bad guy so I decided to let him off easy by cooking his favorite meal, French Onion Soup, and then dumping his ass. But I had never made it before … so after trying a couple recipes to get it just right, I ended up making my own recipe.
It’s really really simple actually, and, I make it without the bread because, well, I don’t eat bread. But, traditionally it’s made with crusty bread and melted cheese. I make it with Cheese Crisps instead (which makes it Gluten Free!). I paired it with a nice French Beaujolais wine which was really quite good. So what happened with the Italian Stallion? Well, I wined and dined him and then sent him home. For good. Enjoy the recipe!! I guarantee the soup is very yummy and very comforting on a cold winter’s night.
Suzie’s French Onion Soup with Cheese Crisps Recipe
What You’ll Need
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 Large Onions very thinly sliced
- 4 Cups Beef, Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1/4 Cup Wine (whatever you’re drinking with the meal)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups Shredded Cheese (preferably Cheddar & Swiss mix, not Mozzarella)
What You Need To Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit / 180 degrees Celsius / 4 in Gas Mark.
- Melt Butter in large pot on medium heat and add Olive Oil.
- Add Onions and saute until wilted and tender but not browned.
- Add Wine and stir thoroughly.
- Add Broth and stir. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Cover pot and stir frequently. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- In the mean time make the Cheese Crisps by placing a piece of parchment paper (or Silpat) on a cookie sheet and putting small mounds of shredded cheese 2 inches apart. Place in oven on middle rack. Cook for 7-10 minutes checking frequently. Remove when edges are browned and cool for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowls. Place Cheese Crisps on top of soup or on the side.
Try it and let me know what you think!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva