When was the last time you Googled yourself? What sort of privacy settings do you have on your Social Media accounts? All great questions, why? Well Online Reputation Management is becoming increasingly more important because we live online, so to speak. We’re leaving footprints everywhere we click. That’s why you need to be so careful about what you do, what you say and especially what you post. Another thing to consider seriously is who can see what on your profile and the consequences. Now I’m not, in any way, saying that you have to be paranoid, but, you do have to be extremely careful.
Why Online Reputation Management Is So Important
Personal Reasons for Online Reputation Management
- Regulating who sees what about you ensures your privacy is protected & personal information isn’t accessible.
- Limiting what personal information you share safeguards your safety & security.
- Giving public (including potential employers or love interests) a correct or incorrect snapshot of who & what you are.
Professional Reasons for Online Reputation Management
- Your potential employers / clients WILL look you up on search engines & Social Media (over 90% of recruiters have admitted to doing this).
- You can use your Social Media profiles to paint a great picture of yourself, signaling to potential employers / clients that you are the ideal candidate for the job.
- You can increase your visibility & demonstrate your expertise in your field.
What You Can Do to Ensure You Have a Positive Online Presence
Here are some tips to help you manage your online reputation effectively:
- keep your personal & professional lives separate online
- limit what personal things you post online, and what others post about you
- create the online image you want people, employers to see with information that accurately, and positively, profiles you
- search your name, and various versions of your name,online
- create a Google alert for yourself at www.google.com/alerts
- check your Facebook and other Social Media settings and make sure only friends can see your updates
- check out some great tips about how to protect your personal information online here: www.priv.gc.ca
- Look up “Suzie Says This” on Facebook / Twitter or Suzie Says This for lots more great tips!
READERS: Have you ever Googled yourself? What do you do to safeguard your online reputation? Would love to hear about it in the comments!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva