Tis the season to be … LONELY. Yes, I said it. The holiday season can really suck if you’re single. Trust me I’ve been there and I know. Seeing everyone all jolly and in love makes you want to puke or hide in your home netflix and chilling ALONE with a tub of ice cream and something alcoholic. Sound depressing? Sure it is. BUT it doesn’t have to be. The holiday season CAN be a positive experience when you’re single. You CAN survive being single during the holidays. I’ll show you how!
Surviving Being Single During the Holidays
Surviving being single during the holidays is all about perspective and frame of mind. You have to CHOOSE happiness and to enjoy the season. Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Do Prioritize Your Time
- Spend your time doing things you love with people you love spending time with. Prioritize your time with friends, family, things and people that make you happy, spend time with other singles, have a girls’ or boys’ night.
- Do Pamper Yourself
- Treating yourself to something special will make you feel great. Spa days, new outfit, a makeover, a massage, technology or anything else you love or always wanted will make you feel good. You ARE saving money by not having to buy a partner a gift so spend it on YOU!
- Do Be Generous
- This is definitely the season for giving – whether it’s money or gifts or food or your time – there are certainly many many opportunities for bringing out your philanthropic side. Helping the less fortunate will also help you be a more grateful person and to focus on what’s really important in life, being single isn’t one of them.
- Don’t Stress of Overthink – No Pity Parties!
- Single is NOT a bad word nor is it a death sentance so don’t treat it that way. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and comparing yourself to others. You’re not the only single person in the world so be happily single and celebrate your single life over the holidays. If you feel a pity party coming on refocus your energy and go do something that makes you feel happy.
- Don’t Watch Romantic Comedies
- Romantic Comedies, or RomComs, are toxic to single people. They not only make you feel worse, they give you an unrealistic idea of how dating and courtship works. They teach you that if you’re patient then the emotionally unavailable man or women can be turned around, they teach you that it’s ok if they behave badly with with they will be back, they teach you that playing games works … shall I go on? There are so many great movies out there for you to watch, choose something that will make you feel better after.
- Don’t Eat and Drink Your Feelings
- Enjoy all the great food and drink BUT over-eating and over-drinking will only make you feel worse and do things that you might regret like feeling disgusting, hungover and wonder what drunk text you sent, or, worse, wondering who that is sleeping beside you.
Surviving being single during the holidays is about taking the time for self-care and care of others. Being single during the holidays isn’t the end of the world. There are options for not being alone or lonely, you just have to be create opportunities for yourself. Besides, you never know, you might just meet someone special while enjoying yourself or volunteering somewhere! So there you go … now go forth and be happily single.
Learn more on my segment on CTV Ottawa Morning discussing Surviving Being Single During the Holidays!
Happy Holidays my dear readers, wishing you a happy, healthy and fulfilling season.
READERS: How are you surviving being single during the holidays? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Want help dealing better with the current dating climate? I’ve released my new workbook to help you attract the love you desire AND IT’S FREE… if you’re interested in receiving a free copy then click HERE and register your name to get the book, tell your friends too because this is a VERY VALUABLE resource! You CAN increase your datability and chances at your very own happily ever after (just like my clients AND me!), you just have to choose to get out of your comfort zone and start thinking strategically. I’ll show you how!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva
Reproduction of this page whether whole or in part is completely prohibited. Please use the contact form if you would like to discuss using any content on this site