New Year, New Love? Right? The holidays are challenging when you’re single but you made it through and you’re ready to take on the dating world! Well, your timing couldn’t be any better!! The new year is the busiest time of the year for online dating. Everyone and anyone is online looking for love just like you so the odds are definitely in your favor. So what should you do? You should be online dating TODAY!
Why You Should Be Online Dating TODAY
Online dating, if done correctly, is a great way to find love. You get access to other singles that you might not have met otherwise. Although, there’s a lot of weeding that must be done, you will definitely get something out of it, perhaps even a date or two AND maybe find your happily ever after. If there’s any time to online date it really is NOW. Here are some pro tips to keep in mind to make the process a little less painful:
- Paid vs Free Sites: Although you might have to do a little less “weeding” on a paid site, your options are more limited AND many people have accounts but don’t pay for them so they can’t communicate leading you to feel somewhat rejected. Besides, most people on paid sites are actually on the free sites too, I advise you to try the free ones first but just proceed with caution.
- Apps vs Web: Apps make it really easy to online date because you can just use your phone to connect with people and communicate with them (so you don’t have to give out your phone number too soon).
- Your Picture: Make sure you have a good current picture that reflects your best self. Remember the first judgment someone makes of you is your picture so it needs to be good! Avoid putting too many pictures or group pictures. Your best option is to have 3 pictures – one head shot, one full body shot, one picture of you doing what you love to do. You can get some more tips in my article Online Dating Profile Pictures 101.
- Your Profile: Your online dating profile should reflect who you are without oversharing. It should be no longer than a couple paragraphs AND leave something to the imagination. Remember you are using this to market yourself to potential dates and you need to put your best self out there for people to see. You can get some more tips in my article Top Do’s and Don’ts of Online Dating Profiles.
- Weeding Through Profiles: The seemingly plethora of options when you go online can sometimes be overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be. Use the search features to initially weed out the ones that don’t fit what you’re looking for. Also, when scanning, omit anyone who’s profile isn’t filled out or has any generic cliches or even any negative comments. Weeding from the get go helps you avoid any headaches afterwords. You can get some more tips in my article How To Weed Through Online Dating Profiles.
- Communicating: Next to profiles, communication is also a great way to know if someone’s a time waster, has less than honorable intentions or actually looking for love. Initiate a conversation by referring to something in their profile and asking questions mentioning something you have in common. Be engaged and interested. Online communication shouldn’t last more that 2 weeks before you have an actual date, otherwise you run the risk of entering into a textationship. You can get some more tips in my articles How To Avoid Time Wasters When Dating & Online Dating and All You Are Getting Are Textationships?
- Picture Requests: Other than the pictures you have posted in your profile, I would highly discourage you from sending any others (risque or not). If they want to see more of you then they should meet you in person and you can tell them that. Remember this person is a STRANGER and although you feel that you have a great rapport with them, leave something to the imagination. You can get some more tips in my article Online Dating and They Want More Pics? Don’t!
- Safety First: When you’re meeting people online, remember that they are a stranger. They might be lying about everything they wrote and they may talk a good talk but their actions MUST speak louder than their words. Never ever meet them at their home, always have a first date in public and stay safe at all times. Home dates aren’t dates unless you’re already officially dating someone, remember that. Don’t be paranoid, but think of your safety first.
Online dating really can be fun and you’ll definitely meet some interesting people. It’s all about perspective and making the best of it. Like with everything else, you get out of it what you put in. It will take some effort on your part and maybe some minor annoyances but it’s worth it because each and every person you talk to or go out with is one step further to your happily ever after. Just enjoy the process and don’t worry about the outcome. Dating CAN be fun!
If you need help with your online dating profile or with online dating in general, check out my online dating support services here: https://singledatingdiva.com/helping-you-find-love/
READERS: How are you planning to find love in the new year? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Need help dealing better with the current online dating climate? I’ve released my new workbook to help you attract the love you desire AND IT’S FREE… if you’re interested in receiving a free copy then click HERE and register your name to get the book, tell your friends too because this is a VERY VALUABLE resource! You CAN increase your datability and chances at your very own happily ever after (just like my clients AND me!), you just have to choose to get out of your comfort zone and start thinking strategically. I’ll show you how!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva
Reproduction of this page whether whole or in part is completely prohibited. Please use the contact form if you would like to discuss using any content on this site
I love online dating! Although sometimes I got bored or disappointed, it’s still fun. People are asking me whether online dating really works. Of course it does! I’m marrying my online dater in less than three weeks! ❤ As Suzie suggested, you just have to follow the tips.
I hated online dating with a passion. I mostly had responses from single dads and much older men and when I rejected them they got nasty. I got lots of messages from men seeking sex (usually married). I met a few actual great guys but we didn’t click. I should warn people to make sure your photo isn’t anywhere else. I had guys find me on Facebook because of photos I had on dating sites. That’s creepy. If I do online again I would use photos just for that site. I’ve considered doing it again but am afraid because I only want men around my age (give or take 10 years either way) without kids and wanting marriage. These guys are hard to find online though.
I have no experience in online dating but I have seen some friends do it and been thinking to try it. These tips are quite useful 🙂
Comments are closed.