If you’re dating online, then your online dating profile could be the reason you’re not having much success. With all the clients I’ve worked with I’ve noticed the same mistakes over and again – they are presenting themselves in a not so appealing light. However, effectively marking yourself in your online dating profile is the first step to online dating success. Think of your online dating profile as your personal advertisement. That’s why you need to make it appealing and interesting enough to draw people in and enticing enough to message you. Easy peasy right? Well, not for everyone. I get lots of emails about this and thought I would write some of my go to top tips to help you out!
Dear Single Dating Diva,
I don’t seem to be having any luck with my online dating profile and I need some tips on what to write in it. What makes an online dating profile successful?
Thanks for your help!
Dear Online Dater,
Thanks for your email. I’m happy to help give you some tips on how to make your profile one that people actually look at. Remember that your online dating profile is a first peek into who you are. It’s a glimpse into your life. It’s your first impression to those you hope to attract. So why wouldn’t you put a stellar profile out there for all to see? In my experience either people try too hard or don’t try enough. However, if you’re serious about meeting someone you need to stand out from the crowd in a GOOD way. How to do that? Lucky for you I’m here to help!
What To Write In Your Online Dating Profile
Here are my top 5 tips on what to write in your online dating profile:
- Start with a good picture. Your picture is the first thing people look at. Think of it as your advertisement logo or graphic. Your picture and only your picture is what makes someone want to click on your profile to find out more. So make sure that you’ve got a good one. I typically advise my clients to have a maximum of 3 pictures – one picture of their face for the main image, one full body picture, one picture of them doing something they love that speaks to who they are and what they love. No group pictures. A picture with their pet is OK. NO mirror selfies!! Pictures MUST be recent, no more than 2 years old. Pictures must be of you not someone else (yes, people put pictures of others). Pictures should not all be from the same place, same time if you can help it. If you’ve got a crappy picture then even if you’re an amazing person with a lot to offer no one is going to want to find out. So have good pictures and before you post them ask for your friends’ opinions if they like them or not.
- Have a good headline. Think of your headline as your slogan or the title you would choose for your autobiography. It has to be creative, catchy but also reflect who you are. It has to be simple but catchy, even funny. What really describes you if you could only use a couple of words? It should also set you apart from the crowd. Think about your favorite slogans, what makes them so memorable? Use them as an example. Read more about slogans here, it should give you an idea about what you should write.
- Leave something to the imagination. Your write-up shouldn’t have everything but the kitchen sink in it. Leaving something to the imagination leaves them intrigued and gives you something to talk about. For example, you don’t have to write each and every place you’ve traveled, but you can write that you like to travel to places you can learn about ancient history and that you’ve learned the most in your travels in India. So instead of saying “I’ve traveled all over the world. I’ve been to India, Thailand, Italy, Greece and Egypt.” you should say “I enjoy travelling to places that satisfy my hunger to learn more about history. My recent trip visiting the temples in India satisfied that desire.” See what I did there? That gives some information but makes someone want to know more and ask questions.
- Top 5 reasons someone should date you. Next, you should, for yourself, write down the top 5 reasons someone should date you. Next, put that into your profile. Demonstrate WHY you stand out from the crowd. Show them what you have to offer that no one else does. Don’t say that you have a good sense of humor, tell them why you do. Why should someone walk into your store? What makes you a hot commodity? If you don’t know what makes you so special then why should they even bother?
- Stay positive. Time and again, over and over, I see people writing what they DON’T want in a person, or they list things that people should not be if they plan on sending them a message. Negative negative negative. You know what that does? It makes quality people not want to send you a message. Also putting yourself down doesn’t appeal to anyone. Use only positive language in your profile. Saying things like “here I am again”, “I’m back trying online dating again maybe I’ll be successful this time” makes you look like there’s something wrong with you. Don’t write “if you’re unemployed don’t bother writing me”, instead write “I am looking for someone who has a job that they enjoy or find rewarding”. So keep it positive and you’ll be more appealing.
So there you to, my top 5 tips regarding what to write in your online dating profile. I hope you’ve found them somewhat helpful. Just keep in mind that your online dating profile is an advertisement. You’re the hot commodity that everyone should want. How to do that? Well, by putting your best foot forward and standing out from the crowd that’s how! So go forth and promote promote promote!!!
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva