Ever meet someone and think “eww gross” this person is nasty! I have, many times. I met one such person yesterday when I was at work. They were attractive and quite dapper, you know the hot businessman type. Just by looking at them from a distance you would be impressed and think “wow, who’s that!?”. Upon closer inspection, I was not so impressed. He smelled like a cross between body odour and alcohol, he had snots in his nose and when he opened his mouth I thought I was going to pass out. His teeth were not so clean and his breath was horrid (even talking from a distance). What a big turnoff! Seriously, who cares if he looked like a million bucks I wouldn’t date him, or anyone like him, if he asked me … why? Because his personal hygiene habits left MUCH to be desired. It got me thinking. Personal hygiene IS very important, ESPECIALLY when dating. It could seriously make or break a potential relationship.
Why Personal Hygiene Is So Important When Dating
What sorts of things are important? Generally …
- Take a daily shower/bath, even two if necessary (loading on the cologne/perfume doesn’t replace water & soap)
- Wear deodorant/antiperspirant and re-apply if necessary
- Clean your ears and your eyes
- Make sure there is nothing in your nose
- Brush your teeth at least once a day
- Keep mints/chewing gum on hand for those times when you know you will be speaking with people
- Wash/Sanitize your hands often (especially after going to the toilet)
- Wear clean clothing that are not ripped or stained
- Make sure your nails are clean and maintained
- If you’re expecting some “extra curricular activities” then make sure the venue you would like the most attention on is CLEAN and smells attractive (why not bath together beforehand? nothing sexier than that!)
Yes, it means checking the mirror every once in a while and doing a little sniff test if you’re not sure.
Although it’s nice to let your personal pheromones shine when the time is right, it’s also nice to have a sort of signature scent. Mine is vanilla. I always smell like vanilla. My body wash, body lotion, body spray and even my house all smell like vanilla. It’s my signature and I like it. It’s very important to me to always look and smell proper. I also expect that from those around me which is why I’ll be the first to tell someone if they have “a bat in the cave” or something in their teeth. So what does this have to do with dating? Well, unless the person you are dating specifically likes someone smelly and dirty (which actually I met once), then you’re sabotaging your chances at happiness. All that “they should love me for me, for who I am” is bullshit when you smell like bullshit. It’s simple really. I refuse to go out with guys who don’t have good personal hygiene practices. It’s just not acceptable in this day and age.
No one likes a dirty, smelly date or mate.
My friends, before you go out today, make sure you look and smell your best! You never know who you will run into! If you’re going on your first date … make sure you are someone they won’t ever forget, for GOOD reasons, and not the one they tell all their friends about who smelled like curry and cigarettes and had bad breath.
I’m dating skid-marks guy. When your boyfriend is so comfortable that he cannot be bothered to wipe his ass, there’s a problem.” ~Miranda Hobbes (Sex and the City)
Did I miss anything on the list? What sorts of things do you find gross or attractive in a person? Have you ever been on a date with someone who made you want to physically be sick?
Your Sister in Dating Bliss,
Single Dating Diva
Copyright Single Dating Diva
Originally published on Singles Warehouse